Food Safety

Never had food poisoning?

Perhaps you have, but thought you were sick with the flu.

If you or a family member has ever had nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever or cramps, you could have had food poisoning.

Thousands of people suffer from it each year. Click here to learn the four food safety steps that can help prevent food poisoning.

Our Food Safety team's responsibilities include:

  • Inspection of food premises and reporting of the results.
  • Responding to consumer complaints.
  • Investigating food-related illnesses.
  • Taking part in the recall of contaminated foods.
  • Providing food safety training to commercial food handlers.

Inspection results for food businessesCheckit_laptop.jpg

Check it! We inspect it. is your access to public health inspection results in Waterloo Region.

To look up the latest health inspection results for food businesses click here.

On this website you will also find inspection results for beauty and body art and public recreational water facilities.

How do I report a food illness?

If you believe you became ill as a result of food, please provide the following information to Public Health when you call 519-575-4400:

  • The name of the place where you ate.
  • The date and time you ate.
  • What you ate.
  • Your symptoms and where and when they first occurred.
  • How long you were ill.
  • Name of anyone else that ate with you and whether or not they became ill.

To determine whether the illness was caused by the suspected food, it is important that you submit a stool sample to us. Stool kits are available at our Waterloo office located at 99 Regina St. S.

Remember: If you have severe symptoms, please seek medical attention immediately and contact Public Health when you are able.

Food safety training courses

In partnership with Public Health, Conestoga College is now the delivery organization for the Food Safety Training Courses.

To register for the food safety training, go to the Continuing Education Course Registration on the Conestoga College website.

Region of Waterloo also recognizes selected Food Safety Training courses. Please see the Environmental Health page on the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care website for a current list of courses.

Do you want to open a food establishment?

Are you planning to open or renovate a food service establishment? Region of Waterloo Public Health must be notified of any new food service establishments. Here are steps you need to follow:

First Steps

Next Steps

The plans and notification will be reviewed by a Public Health Inspector to ensure all aspects of the Ontario Food Premise Regulation are met. The Public Health Inspector will notify you of any changes that must be made in order to be in compliance.

  • Any questions regarding building permits or business licenses should be directed to your local municipality.
  • Any questions regarding the Ontario Food Premise Regulations and its interpretation can be directed to our Intake Public Health Inspector at 519-575-4400, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday.

Food recalls

If you want to subscribe to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) automatic food recall update service to receive food recalls and allergy alerts directly via e-mail as soon as they are issued, go to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency website.

Foodborne illnesses

Bacterial Foodborne Illnesses




Management of Diarrheal Infections


Viral Foodborne Illnesses

Hepatitis A



Front Burner - A newsletter from your local Public Health Inspector.

At the Market - A newsletter for market vendors.

Resources and websites

Barbecue Safety at Home 

Check it! We inspect it. Window Sign

Egg Safety

Farmer's Market Application

Fight Bac

Handwashing Fact Sheet

Handwashing Sign

In Good Hands

Picnic Safety

Milo and the Invisible World of Germs

Raw Milk on the Farm

Raw Milk - Think about the risk

Requirements for Food Vendors at Non-Exempt Farmers' Markets

Safe Canning for Food Vendors and Operators

School Lunch Safety

Special Events: Requirements for Safe Barbecues

Special Events: Food Safety Requirements

Special Events : Lowering Your Alcohol Liability Risk


Special Event forms can only be submitted online using Explorer. Chrome users please print and fax or scan and email.

Special Events: Coordinator Application Form 

Special Events: Vendor Application Form